Notifications
Clear all

How do you cope up with burnout?

6 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@Guest)
New Member Guest

When working on a lot of devices daily how do you handle stress/burnout?

(@Guest)
New Member Guest

I’m not repair man. An IT guy but dealing with multiple issues/request at the same time. Trying to keep away myself from the noisy objects as much as i could to be avoid losing my focus.

Drinking water 2-3litters min/day.

Trying to keep my mobile in silent mode. Then , giving calls back to the peoples once I finish the task in my hand.

ReplyQuote
(@Guest)
New Member Guest

I personally like using my whiteboard to help keep me on track. I'll check out what I need / want to repair for the day, and then write them all down. Then sort by order of importance, or order that I would like to do them in, and then start working.

As for burnout, my situation is probably different than others here. I repair graphics cards mostly, and just ones that I buy. I don't take in customer repairs because my schedule is all over the place, and between school + day job I sometimes don't have time to work on cards some days, or simply don't feel like it. Working on my own stuff and having a day job that pays my bills allows me to work whenever I want, and not have to worry too much about a time crunch. When I do need to worry or get stuff done and sold, I refer to the above method to reduce the amount of stress I'm going to endure getting those things done.

If you're burning out, maybe try working on some new stuff? I enjoy working on electronics, but once I get to the point where I've learned what I'm working on and it's just repeated tasks then the fun starts to dwindle. I resolve that by working on something new, either an issue or device I've never repaired before. This means I'll have to spend time diagnosing, probing, testing, researching, reading datasheets, etc. A combination of those keeps me far more interested and busy than fixing a problem I've dealt with many times.

ReplyQuote
NorthridgeFix
(@alex)
Admin Admin

Very good topic for a video. I'll make one soon. It basically boils down to the amount of work on hand Vs progress Vs results.
1. If you work very hard and see good results, you'll likely forget about burnouts.
2. If You spend a lot of time working on one device because you hate giving up. Stop when you see no light at end of the Tunnel and move on
3. You worked on 4 devices and non were fixable and no pay. Solution: Start charging repair attempt /Bench fees and consider improving your skills if needed.

Take a deep breath. Have a cup of tea. Take at least one day off a week and a 2-3 days vacation every month. If you lack knowledge and feel that is contributing to your burnouts, lean and improve your skills. If something is not working for you no matter how hard you try, feel free to explore other options, not necessary outside the field, just branch.

ReplyQuote
(@Guest)
New Member Guest

I have been in the "fix it" business for over 40 years both with software on mini-computer systems as well as with electronics. The key as stated here, is to know when to walk away. This may be walking away completely or just walking away to work on something else for a while. There are times when you are too close to a problem and won't ever see the solution. Seek someone else to describe the problem and what has been done thus far and quite often that alone will spark the solution. Other times, that individual will ask a question which will then cause you to realize the solution. Sometimes it is just the break of another task that will allow you to approach the problem with in a different light. There are times when you must just give up though.

The jobs will get easier as you gain experience. I recall working full time on audio equipment repair where the first unit of a particular manufacture and model would take over 1-1/2 hours to complete the repair. After performing 100s, these would tke less than 45 minutes to complete. With experience, you will find you can diagnose a problem more quickly and replace the bad parts more quickly too.

Avoid burnout by working on a variety of equipment. It is this that will make things interesting. Performing the same task over and over on the exact same equipment will eventually get boring and contribute to burnout.

Dan

ReplyQuote
(@Guest)
New Member Guest

I deal with PC repairs, a lot of software, assembling new PCs, I'm an employee, but at home I have a small workshop for unpretentious hardware repairs.
my escape valve, and do something new and rewarding, as well as not make me bitter blood for causes not mine. and then a few days of vacation in the mountains in the middle of nowhere. in 8 years I'm retiring ... and stress is not good for you 🙂

ReplyQuote

Leave a reply

Author Name

Author Email

Title *

Maximum allowed file size is 10MB

Preview 0 Revisions Saved
Share: