Clear all

128GB FLASHDRIVE WON'T STAY OPEN

5 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
(@Sean H.)
New Member Guest
Topic starter  

I have a 128GB flashdrive that suddenly stopped working last night. It had never given me any problems before, but now when I plug it in and open it in a new window, it sometimes keeps spinning and won't open.  When I am able to get it open to see all of my documents, it won't stay open long enough for me to open any of the documents.  Is this fixable?

(@Guest 10344)
Eminent Member Guest

Its very difficult to say without examinng the actual drive. In the meantime you can do some basic checks

1. Is the connector of the flash drive loose shaking. This would indicate a loose connection and can be fixed.

2. Try connecting on another USB port on your machine or if possible, a different machine itself. This will help rule out PC related problems

3. The problem you describe typicaly happens when there is either a loose connection from the device side or the PC side OR the device is not getting enough power to operate in normal mode OR something is overheating and cutting off.

Hope this helps

ReplyQuote
(@Sean H.)
New Member Guest
Topic starter  

@jinu Thanks.  I assume it's a power issue because the flash drive light no longer blinks.

ReplyQuote
(@Guest 10344)
Eminent Member Guest

I am not sure if you are using a PC or a laptop. If it is a PC ensure the flash drive is connected directly to the USB port of the motherboard and not the ones in front or through a USB splitter.

Another way to work around that is to use a powered USB hub. This would require a 12V power connection to the hub in addition to being connected to the PC. This will handle the power requirement if any

Inspite of this it doesnt work and keeps powercycling you might want to take it in for repairs if there is some valuable data in it or just replace it with a new one

ReplyQuote
(@Sean H.)
New Member Guest
Topic starter  

I'm using a PC.  I am taking it in to a repair shop tomorrow because there are valuable documents on it which I can see, but the issue won't allow me to open any of them.

ReplyQuote

Leave a reply

Author Name

Author Email

Title *

Maximum allowed file size is 10MB

Preview 0 Revisions Saved
Share: