Asus A15 FA506IV - ...
 
Notifications
Clear all

Asus A15 FA506IV - GPU, M.2 (1x) Slot, WLAN Slot and Speakers/Audio not working

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Reactions
1,223 Views
(@Lucas)
Joined: 2 years ago
Posts: 1
Topic starter   [#915]

Hey guys! I have an Asus A15 FA506IV (2020 model, I think) and I was wondering if this problem happened to anyone and if it is repairable (with a lot of work, I'm pretty sure it is, but at what cost) or something.

Explanation: A few months ago I wanted to read and burn some CDs. Since I didn't have a laptop with a disc drive, I tried using an external one. The moment I connected it to the right usb (the one that is a separate board connected by a flat cable to MOBO), PC immediately turned off (FYI: I was using an external monitor via USB-C, laptop was plugged in and all 3 were connected on the same power strip).

When I turned on again, it did the same boot pattern as when the battery is disconnected (turns on quickly, turns off, turns on with keyboard light, turns off then turn on again; like resetting bios when CMOS removed), but wasn't recognizing my boot drive, NVMe connected on #1 M.2 Slot.

Opened it, replaced the SSD to the second slot and computer started normally, only to find out that, even if recognized in BIOS, my GPU wasn't working (shows error in device manager and "Extreme Power Saving" in Armoury Crate), WiFi and Bluetooth weren't showing up (not even in Device Manager) and Speakers/Audio Jack shows up as normal but no sound.

Tried: replacing and reconnecting SSD, WLAN card and speakers; testing connectors to check if any was shorting the MOBO; Updating and Downgrading bios, system reset (even other OSs). But, no luck.

Didn't see any type of blown or burnt component and didn't get further by checking volts/resistance

The "rest" works normal, I can still use, navigate and game on, but using only iGPU. The Infamous USB works like a charm..

Planned on selling it before the accident, but I guess I won't be able to find buyers and sell it the way it is right now (since it doesn't even function like a laptop anymore without 3 adapters: WiFi, Bluetooth and Audio). Maybe is worth getting it fixed because of this.

I thought about trying to fix it myself. I know a little about soldering and electronics. But I guess it's going to be a lot of work for a first timer, especially to find parts to replace.

Laptop warranty ended 2 years ago (Had to extend it because MOBO and Screen had to be replaced because of a faulty usb-c and black screen on 144hz, having to connect an external monitor to change frequency and enter bios) and authorized repair shops are far from where I live. The cost just for sending it would be huge (I'll have to find a local repair).

I guess I was/am unlucky with Asus =(

Let me know what you think about it and help me, please



   
Quote
(@mohamed)
New Member Registered
Joined: 1 day ago
Posts: 1
 

Hi, I know this is an old post, but I came across it because I'm dealing with a somewhat similar problem with my ASUS TUF A15 FA507NV with an RTX 4060.

 

In my case, the laptop initially still booted normally, but the NVIDIA GPU was detected without properly initializing. While troubleshooting, I changed the BIOS display mode from Dynamic to dGPU Only. After that, the laptop stopped producing any display at all. The keyboard and fans come on, but I can't access the BIOS and I get no signal from either the internal screen or an external monitor.

 

I took it to an ASUS authorised service centre. They tested the laptop with another known-good mainboard and said it worked, so they diagnosed my original mainboard as faulty and quoted me for a complete mainboard replacement. The price is far too high, so I'm now looking into component-level motherboard repair instead.

 

Your situation sounds a little less severe than mine since your laptop was still usable on the iGPU, but the combination of the dedicated GPU and several other motherboard devices suddenly failing sounded similar enough that I wanted to ask.

 

Did you ever find out exactly what was wrong with your motherboard? Were you able to repair it, and if so, what was actually repaired or replaced and roughly how much did it cost?

 

I'd really appreciate an update on what eventually happened with yours, even if you ended up not repairing it.

 

Thanks!



   
ReplyQuote

Leave a reply

Author Name

Author Email

Title *

Maximum allowed file size is 10MB

Preview 0 Revisions Saved
Share: