Clear all

Razer Blade 14 (2017) not turning on

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@Guest)
New Member Guest

Hi all,
I have this 2017 Razer Blade 14 that won’t turn on.
Some of the always on rails were reading 0 volts, so I changed one of the power units near the 2 power mosfets and got them to work. The laptop wouldn’t turn on though, but the keyboard backlight and the tiny green led LED were now flashing. So I checked every coil and found that one of them was open. I changed it, and tried to turn on the laptop again. This time, on top of the keyboard and LED, the fans started spinning like crazy, and the GPU and CPU were becoming super hot.

I changed the PMU related to the CPU (I think?) at the back of the board with one from a donor board which could have been faulty, no luck. Put the old one back.

After trying to reset the laptop by pressing and holding the power button, after a while, the laptop showed a new behavior: it would change state when the power button is pressed, the fans would start spinning, and then it would immediately shut down.

I read somewhere that it could be the ITE chip shutting down the booting sequence by lack of feedback from a key component. So I checked everywhere and found a blown fuse at the back of the board near the display connector region. I changed it, but still the same behavior.

What should I do next? I guess the issue could come from a power management chip related to the CPU, the RAM or whatever, but how do I know which one?
I would gladly have any insight from this community as I’m a complete beginner. I got my hands on a rework station for the first time about 3 weeks ago ?‍♂️ And pretty much all my knowledge comes from watching Alex fixing stuff…

NorthridgeFix
(@alex)
Admin Admin

You seem to have a lot of faulty components on the board based on what you wrote. It's hard for anyone to provide a correct answer on what could be the problem. Your best bet would be to look for schematics and boardview if available, otherwise it's all just trial and error.

ReplyQuote
(@Guest)
New Member Guest

Thanks for your answer. My guess is that a power surge probably fried a few things on its rail (a coil, a fuse, a power unit at least). There are sadly no schematics for that board. I do have a good one though, so I can compare measurements.
I’m not in dire need to make it work (I’m doing this for fun and to teach myself something), so I can afford trial and error. I’m just unsure what to try…

ReplyQuote

Leave a reply

Author Name

Author Email

Title *

Maximum allowed file size is 10MB

Preview 0 Revisions Saved
Share: