Clear all

Asus ROG Strix G17 G712LU-EV0T possible inefficient power stage

1 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
(@DreamCat04)
New Member Guest
Topic starter  

I've had my laptop, the model of which is in the title, for around three years now, it was purchased in november of 2021. At first, it was really good, lasting for around 5.5-6h of content playback. I had to open it up in december because of bad CPU and GPU thermals. The CPU had a "dry" spot in its liquid metal, re-spreading fixed that. The paste on the GPU was very dry, so I replaced it. I also cleaned the fans, which I discovered to be black and not grey. I then put it back together and have been using it ever since. However, I don't know when it started, but the laptop draws a lot of power from its battery for no apparent reason and I don't know what could have caused it and didn't pay attention to when it started happening. But long story short, it  draws around 15W from its battery when the GPU is completely off and the CPU is drawing its idle power of between 3 and 4W. If I get the CPU to its 25W limit on battery, the laptop draws around 43W with spikes up to 50W from its battery. Pushing the GPU only to 30W (with around 4W on the CPU), the laptop only draws 40W from the battery. Could all this be thanks to a power mosfet that may have degraded over the years? I have to confess that I did clean the fans a second time with a vacuum and there was a lil ark when I reconnected the battery, but it worked and I don't think this started the issue.
The reason why I mentioned I took it apart is that I was unsure if I could leave the blue stuff that was on the VRMs and the VRAM and people told me I could leave it on and didn't need to replace it. This laptop is close to eol for its laptop use-case but I would still like to figure out the cause of my issue

Leave a reply

Author Name

Author Email

Title *

Maximum allowed file size is 10MB

Preview 0 Revisions Saved
Share: