Clear all

Tool to help holding and connect IC chips for reprogram

3 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
(@Guest)
New Member Guest

Greetings everyone,

(Please go to the end TL;DR if this bores you)

So, at the company i work at, we have a client that has a model of thermal printers for around 4 years, which prints on thermic labels. Those printers have removable batteries. The client has around 500 stores around the country i live in (Portugal), and he has 1 printer per store.
The printers, being 4 years old, are starting to have some issues related to the batteries. The batteries no longer provide the correct power to make the correct printing, resulting in faded labels (which is causing issues in POS machines, because the barcode is not correctly printed, therefore it is not scanned).
I've already opened the batteries, although they don't have screws, and tested the cells. Some were dead, some were not dead. The batteries have a smart system, which is controlled by IC chip BQ8050.
I figured out a way through software to reprogram, or reset, those chips, which could solve the problem for most of the batteries. I need to unsolder the chip and connect it to a USB-to-SMBus adapter. The pins of the chip are very small and i remember watching a video on northridge youtube channel that he reprogrammed a chip and had a tool that would clamp the pins to make connection. And i need that tool as well to try and reprogram it.

TL;DR:
I need a tool to clamp a chip and have connections to wire 3 pins os SMBus connection to a USB-to-SMBus adpater in order to reflash/reprogram the IC chip, and i guess i saw a video that Northridge has used something like that, i just don't remember which video it is.

Thank you for your help, and much love from Portugal!

(@Guest)
New Member Guest

Guys,

I found the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNP04d1KZ4A

It talks about TL866II device. EEPROM Programmer.

I can't find anywhere if this has the ability to communicate via SMBus with the IC chip.

i will be grateful for your help!!

ReplyQuote
(@Guest)
New Member Guest

TL866II is now EOL, you can still find it on ebay, ali... but it has been replaced by the Xgecku T56.
The official company behind it is Xgecku, in the past it was called minipro.

this is the official site : http://www.xgecu.com

ReplyQuote

Leave a reply

Author Name

Author Email

Title *

Maximum allowed file size is 10MB

Preview 0 Revisions Saved
Share: