Where can we get a ...

Notifications
Clear all

Where can we get a Healthy BIOS chip for lenovo ideapad 520 with corrupted BIOS on it

7 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
(@Yossy)
New Member Guest
Topic starter  

Thanks for your insightful video on Youtube as always. One question to ask.

Where can we get/buy a healthy BIOS chip?

I have lenovo ideapad520 that now seems to have the same type of currupted BIOS on it. It boots up, but gets stuck with black screen never allowing me to enter BIOS or recovery mode.

Before becoming this, I tried to update BIOS via official lenovo updater running on Windows10, but the last stage of updating process, my ideapad suddenly got frozen.

Now I desperately need to get the healthy BIOS chip in order to replace with currupted one. Any info from anyone is sincerely appreciated.

(@Guest 10594)
Trusted Member Guest

Now I desperately need to get the healthy BIOS chip in order to replace with currupted one. Any info from anyone is sincerely appreciated.t

You need to look at the exact model ideapad you have. This will.be found on the back cover.

Then search for the BIOS CHIP LENOVO IDEAPAD 520-15IKB (TYPE 80YL) or 520-15IKB (TYPE 81BF) or 510S-14IKB, depending on your model number. You could also try removing the bios chip and re-writing the bios on it with a programmer.

ReplyQuote
(@Yossy)
New Member Guest

@matrs Thanks for the advice and sorry for my late reply. Now I have bought a CH341A programmer for rewriting the BIOS data to my chip. The model of my 520 is 520-15IKB(81BF) according to information on the back cover. I have been serching for a functioning BIOS image of this particular model on the web, but no luck so far. I didn't imagine myself falling down such a rabbit hole by just updating its BIOS to the latest. LOL Fortunately I like learning new things on electronics. I modified my CH341A in order to supply 3.3v instead of 5v because my BIOS chip is GD25B64C that is applicable to 3.3v writing. If you happens to know about the webpage where I can download the BIOS image, kindly let me know. Thank you for your help in advance.

ReplyQuote
(@Guest 10594)
Trusted Member Guest

As far as I am aware you already have the files needed to flash it downloaded. Go to the Lenovo site, download the bios.exe file from there and then extract the bios file from that. Then flash the chip using your programmer and it's software.

ReplyQuote
(@Guest)
New Member Guest

@matrs Thanks for your reply. I also tried using a downloaded BIOS image from lenovo site. But the file was .exe, so in order to extract its contents I used 7-zip extractor. After that I found a file named [0] whose size was 6.9MB. However the file I extracted from my corrupted chip was 8MB. So I guess it is only a part of BIOS. Now I'm striving to find the way to make a whole BIOS image from this 6.9MB file. Hmm..there seems to be still a long way to go. Thanks anyway.

ReplyQuote
(@Guest)
New Member Guest

Take a look at this and see if you can use this.

https://github.com/ISpillMyDrink/UEFI-Repair-Guide/wiki/Partial-Images

ReplyQuote
(@Guest)
New Member Guest

Give this a read:

https://github.com/ISpillMyDrink/UEFI-Repair-Guide/wiki/Partial-Images

ReplyQuote

Leave a reply

Author Name

Author Email

Title *

Maximum allowed file size is 10MB