Ridiculously Behaving Patriot Supersonic Rage Pro 256GB USB Drive

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@Dan Dangus)
New Member Guest
Topic starter  

Hello everybody.

Back in 2021 I bought a brand new Patriot Supersonic Rage Pro 256GB USB Drive.

It is this model exactly: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08TRG6XZT/

In 2021 I copied a lot of video files to this Patriot drive, at that time this Patriot drive behaved normally. Then I put this drive in a drawer and didn't touch it again until this year. Last month I put this drive in my laptop, and started copying files from this drive to a different USB drive. The files were copying as normal for about five minutes, then suddenly this Patriot drive ceased functioning. I took this drive out of my laptop and plugged it back in, and that's when its strange behavior began.

Here's what happens when I plug this Patriot drive into my laptop now:

My wireless USB mouse temporarily stops working, as if Windows 10 Pro is scanning all USB ports, but the response time from the Patriot drive is slowing that process down. Eventually my USB mouse returns to working again. Then Windows explorer pops up like it's trying to show the drive as a new location, except that fails (doesn't show the drive as an addressed device) and I get these errors messages from Windows:

When I go into Disk Management in Windows, this USB drive does not appear as a Disk at all. It doesn't exist in Disk Management.

When I go into Device Manager, I can see the drive listed there as such:

Keep in mind this drive has not been dropped, nor submerged in liquids, nor left in the sun, or anything else that would count as physically abusive to it. This drive is still in mint physical condition insofar as user care. Also, if I put this drive in a different laptop, with a different version of Windows, I get the same basic "USB device not recognized" error.

I have tried a few "fixes" I've read about online, and none of them have worked. Like disabling Windows fast boot, disabling USB device suspend, reinstalling Windows USB drivers for this particular Dell laptop, none of that makes this drive behave correctly again.

I'm hoping someone here knows what I must do to fix this drive. I'd rather not lose two hundred gigs of video files. 😐 Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading.

(@abrsvcs)

There are often two separate ICs within a flash drive, a controller and a memory IC.  It sounds like the controller IC has failed or there is a bad connection somewhere within the drive. This should be repairable.  A replacement controller would be my first attempt assuming that all of the connections are OK at the connector.  If the drive was marginal from the start, it would not take much to break a connection.  While rare, I have seen this in the past.  If you can, open up the unit and examine the connector where is attaches to the board looking for poor solder joints.  If those look good, replace the controller IC or have it replaced.

Dan

ReplyQuote

Leave a reply

Author Name

Author Email

Title *

Maximum allowed file size is 10MB

Preview 0 Revisions Saved
Share: