Clear all

AsRock 970 Extreme3 no power to RAM

3 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
(@Guest 9867)
New Member Guest
Topic starter  

I've got this PC motherboard that fails to POST but it turns on. Checked the voltages and some resistances but on the RAM area I've got 10 ohms on the capacitors and every other component. Sometimes I get 2v but if I insert a memory stick it shows 0v. I looked around and can't find anything blasted. I checked the capacitors with continuity meter in hopes to find the one that says 0ohms but every one of them has 10 so this tells me they aren't the problem. Every short I got on the small ram mosfets is still 10ohms. What else should I look for? I can't find the component with smaller resistance. Could it be the northbridge itself? I have to say that only the vrm for half of the slots is faulty, it has 2 mosfets and 2 capacitors with no short to ground but the other 2 pair is shorted.

(@Guest 9867)
New Member Guest
Topic starter  

So between these 2 mosfet's source and drain there's a 10 ohm short. The rest of the shorts I think come from one of these mosfets, they are connected in parallel and if 1 is gone the other one shows bad as well. The top ones are ok internally but their source is connected to the bottom one's drain. I'm asking if there can be something else that could cause this. Like I said I put the multimeter on all caps and they all showed the same value.

This post was modified 2 years ago by

ReplyQuote
(@Guest 9867)
New Member Guest
Topic starter  

Alright it's not from the Ram side, it's from the VRM, I pulled the heatsink and I found 1 burned capacitor but after I pulled it out I still have a short on some of the mosfets, 2.6 ohms. Two of the mosfets have burn marks on them but only 1 is in short and on the heatsink thermal pad there's only the capacitor burn mark.

This post was modified 2 years ago by

ReplyQuote

Leave a reply

Author Name

Author Email

Title *

Maximum allowed file size is 10MB

Preview 0 Revisions Saved
Share: