Dell INSPIRON 15R N5010 won't restart..

11 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
 Alex
(@Alex)
Active Member Guest
Topic starter  

I have a laptop Dell n 5010, it works perfectly for hours. But if I restart it will forgot to restart.. ( no matter restart from bios / windows) And if I shut down from the power button and turn on again it won't turn on.. I need to remove the charger from the laptop and wait about 5 mins or something and put charger back and it will boot. Same if I go to bios and modify anything and restart it will not restart, just lights on but no display.. What could that be the cause? ? I arleady disassemble, the bord is like new.. changed termal paste, ram, cmos battery, and tried the laptop with only necesar components.. Still same problem. The problem will fix also if I remove the battery and insert it again or if battery is not inserted if I insert the battery it will boot again.. Or if i insert any USB or disconnect any USB.. It will boot again instantly, but after restart it will remain black image. (Not booting) etc. What should I do next? The laptop does not seems to have any problem with cpu / gpu becsuse I used programs to test it for 2-3 hours continously.. No artefact no restart no shut down, temperature max 42c.. What would  you recommend? 

I tried other chargers (3) - no fix, other ram - no fix other network card ( it work fine BTW) - no fix removed cpu checked for damage all is good.. Idk what to do next 

Alex
(@Alex)
Active Member Guest
Topic starter  

The laptop has fan on, light on, etc. But no display and not working, it should make a beep but it won't. It happends only after i restart it 

ReplyQuote
(@Guest 9996)
Active Member Guest

Possibly a damaged ribbon cable / flexible PCB to the monitor. Is the warranty still good?  

ReplyQuote
 Alex
(@Alex)
Active Member Guest
Topic starter  

@jrrdwyahoo-com nope no warranty

ReplyQuote
(@Guest 9996)
Active Member Guest

@Alex sorry to hear that. You can try reseating all the connectibles just be careful not to tear the ribbons. You mentioned tuning off then on again. Start up capacitor?????

ReplyQuote
 NA
(@NA)
New Member Guest

I used to have one of these laptops, the fact a $500 laptop went on for 12 years is already amazing for how genuinely hot they ran, the simple answer is she's dead. Components are end of life. Please recycle appropriately, it is not worth fixing. I've decommissioned many dead N5010s within the last couple of years, they're dropping like flies and rightfully so. Typically the elderly still have them in retirement homes, still running Windows 7 with original hard drives from experience.

You also should of mentioned Serial Number in your question, Processor and GPU which are very important for how much of a meme this laptop was even when new. If this is the Core i7 Radeon model, definitely cooked no doubts. I believe there was an i5 GPU model as well, also a meme. I think the only ones that lived longest were the i3 models due to running way cooler and not dealing with mediocre Radeon GPUs with failed VRAM or GPU.

ReplyQuote
(@Guest)
New Member Guest

I have same problem what is solution for that.

ReplyQuote
 Alex
(@Alex)
Active Member Guest
Topic starter  

Hello! I belive I fixed it for now. I take out the board removed the heat sink and reflow the graphics card and the graphics memory chips with a hair dryer, a strong one ( 800W) after doing that now the laptop works.. No more restart and I was able to flash the amd drivers, before I was getting a blue screen every time I wanted to install display driver. Now everything is fine for the moment.. 

ReplyQuote
 Alex
(@Alex)
Active Member Guest
Topic starter  

@jrrdwyahoo-com I fixed it for now.. It seems like the gpu was the problem..  I take out the board removed the heat sink and reflow the graphics card and the graphics memory chips with a hair dryer, a strong one ( 800W) after doing that now the laptop works.. No more restart and I was able to flash the amd drivers, before I was getting a blue screen every time I wanted to install display driver. Now everything is fine for the moment..

ReplyQuote
 Alex
(@Alex)
Active Member Guest
Topic starter  

Hello I think I fixed it, I'm using the i3 variant. With amd graphics.  I take out the board removed the heat sink from the graphics card and the graphics memory chips with a hair dryer, a strong one ( 800W) after doing that now the laptop works.. No more restart and I was able to flash the amd drivers, before I was getting a blue screen every time I wanted to install display driver. Now everything is fine for the moment.. 

ReplyQuote
(@Guest 9996)
Active Member Guest

@Alex Glad to hear that. I'll keep my fingers crossed it keeps working for you. 😁

ReplyQuote

Leave a reply

Author Name

Author Email

Title *

Maximum allowed file size is 10MB

Preview 0 Revisions Saved
Share: