Clear all

Sapphire HD 7950 dual x missing capacitors

8 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
(@Guest)
New Member Guest

Hello!

A while ago when I was in desperate need for a GPU I was scammed by someone selling "used but working" GPUs.
A computer using this card won't show any picture, but fans start spinning and bios doesn't seem to be detecting any errors.

My first guess would be C1281, where a whole capacitor (+ pads) was ripped off.
My second guess would be C2128 (hard to see, but one side of the capacitor is not touching the pad and the other pad is lifted).
I'm not too sure about C2117. It looks to me like there isn't supposed to be a capacitor, but maybe anybody here knows whether or not there should be a cap?

I couldn't find any schematics for this board, so I would appreciate any hints on what capacitors are missing here.

(@Guest)
New Member Guest

I managed to find a board view schematic of a GPU that matches this card - FYI, the forums over on badcaps.net have a whole plethora of GPU schematics/boardviews. Anyway, I found one that seems to match the component positioning and numbering pretty much exactly. I've attached a few screenshots, and the zip file with the boardview, but here's what I think you are looking for:

C1281: MLCC 22UF/4V (0805) X6S 20% MURATA/GRM21BC80G226M
C2117: MLCC 0.1UF/6.3V(0402)X7R 10% TDK/C1005X7R0J104KT
C2128: MLCC 10UF/6.3V (0805) X5R 10% YAGEO/CC0805KKX5R5BB106

ReplyQuote
(@Guest)
New Member Guest

Adding more attachments

ReplyQuote
(@Guest)
New Member Guest

This is amazing, thank you so much!

ReplyQuote
(@Guest)
New Member Guest

Seems like Mouser doesn't have a replacement cap for C2117.
The only X7R 10& 0.1uF/6.3V capacitor made by TDK I was able to find was the wrong size (0603 and 0805 instead of 0402).

Do you think it would be okay to choose a different manufacturer, as long as the other specifications match?

ReplyQuote
(@Guest)
New Member Guest

Caps are caps, more or less - using another mfr usually won't be a big deal, but you can also try other distributors, like digikey, arrow, etc. For instance, I found this from digikey - 0402 0.1uF X7R. It's 25v, but that's fine, as it's just a max voltage rating, so I'd imagine it would suite your needs just fine - https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/aillen/0402B104K250HI/14670955

Arrow looks like they have an even larger selection. Basically, as long as the base properties are similar, it should work just fine

ReplyQuote
(@Guest)
New Member Guest

Caps are caps, more or less - using another mfr usually won't be a big deal, but you can also try other distributors, like digikey, arrow, etc. For instance, I found this from digikey - 0402 0.1uF X7R. It's 25v, but that's fine, as it's just a max voltage rating, so I'd imagine it would suite your needs just fine. Arrow looks like they have an even larger selection. Basically, as long as the base properties are similar, it should work just fine

ReplyQuote
(@Guest)
New Member Guest

I actually own this card in working order in a computer I no longer use. Here is an image of the back for reference.

If you need a close up, just let me know.

ReplyQuote

Leave a reply

Author Name

Author Email

Title *

Maximum allowed file size is 10MB

Preview 0 Revisions Saved
Share: